NO PURPLE HEARTS IN THIS WAR
As I lay on the couch lifeless and
miserable, I had no idea what was happening to me. Surely, to feel this badly I must be
dying. My mother insisted that I make an
appointment to see the doctor, because she thought I must need vitamins. I had gone from a fairly normal, bouncy
fourteen year old to a fifteen year old who could not move off of the
couch. When I saw the doctor, I ended
up crying in his office and he told me that my problems were emotional. After that I embarked on a quest to find out
why I was feeling the way I did. I read
every psychology book that I could get my hands on and I changed religions
every week. Through all my reading I
found a name for what I had – bipolar mood disorder. This is an illness in which a person
alternates between periods of mania such as rapid speech, verbosity,
grandiosity, and frenetic activity followed by periods of depression that
involve feelings of bleakness, sadness, inactivity, and feeling suicidal.
It was in grade nine when the full brunt
of mental illness really hit me. The
previous year in grade eight I had been on the student council and had friends
that I did things with. However, by the
next year I had become obsessed with suicide, withdrawn, and deeply
depressed. I was in so much mental anguish
that I tried a series of overdoses.
First I bought two bottles of over the counter sleeping pills at the
drug store. I took all the pills and
went to bed, thinking that I would never wake up again. It was a tremendous shock when I woke up the
next morning. Having failed, I planned
another attempt some months later. I
felt I could not stand another five minutes of deep depression, so I went to
the medicine cabinet and raided it.
There were three hundred pills, which I counted out, mainly aspirins,
but also prescription medications that my father and mother had lying around. That night I went into the bathroom and
painfully swallowed all the pills. The
medication burned my oesophagus badly, but I was determined to make an end of
myself. I went to bed at nine o’clock
and prepared to die. However, the image
of my horse with nobody to ride her haunted me.
I got up around one o’clock and awakened my parents. They did not believe that I had taken all
three hundred pills, though they got up and poured salt water down my throat to
make me vomit.
The next day I was sweating profusely and
my hands turned black and puffy. I was
very weak and ill. My father came and
hugged me and told me that he loved me, but I knew that love was not enough to
spring me from the prison of my mind. My
parents made an appointment with a psychiatrist for me; he was a choleric man
who swore at me a lot. He prescribed
lots of Valium and told me that I was just going through a bad
adolescence. In those days one did not
tell anyone that you were seeing a psychiatrist, because it would have been a
disgrace. As it was I felt that my
family was ashamed of me. Everyone who
went to my high school either accused me of being on street drugs or said that
I was crazy.
I was experiencing bipolar mood swings and
began to feel an invisible force was pursing me, around corners and up the
stairs. I saw a family doctor that my
friend had recommended. The man told me that I was a hopeless case and would
never get my B.A. or amount to anything.
He advised me to join a convent.
In retrospect I think that doctor did me a favour, because he made me so
angry that I wanted to succeed academically to prove him wrong. In the 1970’s I enrolled in Mount Allison
University and studied to
get a B.A. with an area of concentration in psychology, sociology, and history. It was a gigantic struggle to get the essays
and exams done while suffering from hallucinations, panic attacks, anxiety, and
extreme insomnia, but I graduated on the deans list.
Hallucinations, voices, and extreme mood
swings were thought to be symptomatic of an overlap between schizophrenia and
bipolar illness. It is very hard to
describe to a non-mentally ill person what auditory or visual hallucinations
are like. Some people have tried and
ended up with bizarre descriptions that don’t make sense to most people. Over the years there has been quite a bit of
confusion over my diagnosis – whether I am schizoaffective or have bipolar
illness with borderline personality disorder. However, the various mental
illnesses have overlapping symptoms. It
is not uncommon for a mental health consumer in New Brunswick to have up to eight different
diagnoses given by different doctors.
After I got my B.A., I enrolled in Tyndale
Seminary in Willowdale , Ontario to study for a Master of Theological
Studies degree. Within the first
twenty-four hours of being there I contacted the school psychologist and met
him in a classroom. He said, “You want
to jump out of that window don’t you?” I
was surprised that my suicidal intentions were so obvious. The psychologist insisted that I be evaluated
at the North York hospital, so I
complied. They wanted to admit me, but I
was so driven to get my degree that I convinced the doctor to let me go back to
the seminary.
The
first year of my masters degree was very turbulent. I was in a manic state and suffered from
hallucinations that were a mixture of the most gruesome things a human being
could conjure up -- skulls, dead soldiers, corpse- like creatures, and a
mishmash of nightmarish scenes. During
the second year of the program I slipped into a severe, numbing
depression. I could not feel the hot
water in the bathtub, I felt spaced out, dead, and emotionless. I should have
taken some antidepressants, but I had refused them because I didn’t believe in
taking pills at the time. In the end I went back home and the dean gave me a
mini thesis that I could work on to complete my degree. I graduated in 1981 and was on the honour
roll. The things that helped me survive
university were seeing the psychologist once a week and my determination to
succeed academically. Also, I was
fortunate to have some professors and friends help me.
After I finished my education I embarked
on a career as a freelance writer. For
the last twenty-five years I have been a writer and poet. I have been published in over one hundred periodicals
and have just finished a book on my life experience with mental illness titled,
“Mind Full of Scorpions” which is listed on Amazon. I’ve always had the belief that handicapped
persons should live as normal a life as possible, so I drive a car and
participate in our activity group events such as having coffee together, doing
crafts, or going to movies.
Seven years ago I met my husband, Dave, on
an internet site titled, “Adam Meet Eve”.
Dave suffers from a
neurological illness called Dystonia, which causes neck spasms. Having experienced illness he is sympathetic
to my health issues. Dave pledges his
loves for me despite my recurring episodes of mental illness. Together we watch videos when we are both
down, take nature walks, discuss theology, and visit family.
As I have gotten older I don’t have many
manic episodes anymore, I mainly struggle with depression and some psychotic
symptoms. Since I also suffer from fibromyalgia I feel depression from my
physical pain and disability as well as from mental illness. In order to control my illness I have to take
antidepressants, mood stabilizers, and antipsychotic medications, which
unfortunately have side effects of weight gain and thirst. However, I find pleasure in relating to other
mentally ill persons, attending our activity group, cooking, gardening, and
writing for a wide range of periodicals. At times I still get into suicidal
crises and need help from the crisis center or the mental health clinic. However, I’m trying to get on with my life
and have carved a niche out for myself as a mental health critic, having
written for a local mental health magazine for the last twenty years.
What I find frustrating about having a mental
illness is the invisible nature of it.
People who are in a hospital bed, wrapped in bandages, confined to a
wheelchair, or are on crutches are generally considered ill and get sympathy. However, when it comes to having a mental
illness people judge you and think you suffer from a weak will or lack of
self-control instead of realizing that the illness is not your fault. After years of struggling, I know that I’ll
never get a purple heart for my war against the dragon of depression. However, at the age of fifty-two, my goal is to
try and get more humane treatment for those suffering from mental illness and
to raise awareness of this agonizing affliction.
I think that after decades of suffering
God has given me the gift of showing mercy.
Because of my mental illness I am moved to help individuals that normal
people would ignore. Suffering compels
me to help those who are in extreme need.
God has directed me to write to a needy child in Africa and to send shoe
boxes filled with toys and school items to the Third World . My psychologist works in Sierra Leone for short periods and they really
need chalk for school, so I sent some to Africa
with him. I know that I can’t be a Billy Graham or a
Mother Theresa, I can only give the cup of cold water in Jesus’ name. Matthew
10:42 says: “And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a
cup of cold water … he shall in no wise lose his reward.”
No comments:
Post a Comment